How to slow down and enjoy brewing coffee at home
Frenzied. Hurried. Chaotic. Is this what your morning coffee routine feels like?
Andie Wilber, a barista at the Starbucks Reserve® Roastery & Tasting Room, encourages people to take 10 extra minutes when they can and slow down while brewing coffee.
"If that’s how you start your morning, that’s the tone that will follow you throughout your day and hopefully your life," Andie said.
Andie loves to create a beautiful environment to enjoy coffee – a skill she’s honing as an apprentice to the Roastery’s merchandising manager.
"Especially if you’re using pieces that are really near and dear to you, it’s like a nice little reminder," she said.
ANDIE’S ADVICE & MUST-HAVES:
• Brewing equipment without buttons: This allows you to take your time and be involved in the brewing process. Her favorites: the coffee press and the Chemex®.
• Freshly roasted coffee beans: Ask your barista for recommendations and learn the story behind your coffee. If you’re looking for a perfect everyday coffee, Starbucks® Pike Place® Roast has a smooth, balanced and rich flavor.
• Grinder: Make sure you’re using freshly ground coffee. Andie recommends the burr grinder for the most consistent grind.
• Tea Towels: Look for unique, handmade tea towels that add a pop of color. Try using them as mats in your kitchen.
• Fresh flowers: Andie says she likes to have some life in her kitchen, other than herself.
• Mugs: As you’re building your collection, start with a mug that’s your favorite color.
• Candles and votives: Even if they’re not lit, Andie says they make a nice addition.
• Tray: Use a tray to tie everything together. Play around with different patterns and colors.
• Start small: Acquire pieces one by one, rather than as a set. "Get something easy that doesn’t require a whole lot of change out of you. But just start with one thing at a time," Andie said.
To learn more about brewing at home and picking the right coffee for you, visit Starbucks® Coffee at Home.
PIKE PLACE IS A TRADEMARK OF THE PIKE PLACE MARKET PDA, USED UNDER LICENSE.